In order to have and manage guards, a town must have a guard barracks building. Guard configuration is available for the monarch/head and the defense councilor, if there is one. The guard menu can be accessed from anywhere as long as you are the right type of leader. Their main purpose is to automatically enforce town laws.
Characters that are set as guards will auto-enforce laws when they are broken in their presence if the player of the guard is offline (for at least 15 minutes). When a guard is online, they are expected to manually enforce a law break when it is broken in their presence. Once guards begin to attack, they will continue attacking until their target is incapable, or until the appropriate leader orders them to stop. It is important to note that all automatic guard attacks fall under the same restrictions that normal attacks do, such as the one hour time limit between attempts. For more information on combat restrictions see Combat.
- Violence: Guards will resort to enforcement if the weapon level is 2 or greater (meaning fists and junk weapons will not elicit attacks) enabling the ability to spar without concern. Leaders are exempt from auto-enforcement of any kind.
- Eavesdropping: Enforcement occurs when an attempted eavesdrop fails.
- Forced Entry: Enforcement occurs when attempting to break into a place or vehicle with a crowbar, lockpick or battering ram, though laws can be set to what specific types are now allowed.
- Theft: Enforcement occurs when taking items from an incapable person, or when an attempt at pilfering pockets fails (not when initially peeking), but again laws can be set specifically.
- Dragging: Enforcement occurs when dragging any person, where the dragger is not the parent of the victim - parents will not trigger law breaks when moving their kids.
- Vandalism: Enforcement occurs when attempting to destroy a building or an object on the ground. (Not implemented)
Cease Attack: If there are any ongoing attacks toward people in the immediate area, they can be ordered to stop.
Order Attack: Guards can be ordered by a leader to begin an ongoing attack on anyone in the immediate area, if there are any in an inactive state. Attacks will continue every hour that the order exists, if all the normal combat conditions are met and the target is not incapable. Once a target is made incapable, attack orders will automatically be dismissed.
Laws: The automatic behavior of guards is based off of laws, so their behavior can be adjusted by changing them.
If someone would like to sign up to be a guard, leaders with access to the menu will have to try and enlist them. Only citizens can be enlisted. The person being enlisted will have to consent to enlistment before they are added to the roster. You cannot be a guard and part of a group at the same time. You can have up to 33% of your population of citizens set as guards, or just one, if you're a very small group.
The roster shows a list of currently enlisted guards and their activity status, and also allows the removal of guards from the roster, rendering them normal citizens. You can have up to a third of your citizens set as guards. Citizens who are guards can relinquish the status themselves through the town menu.